Tonight, we are honored by several special guests: Drs. Vivian Casper, Brian Fehler, and Gray Scott.
Let’s spend the first hour or so of class in conversation with them!
I kept forgetting to send out invites, but I did, today. Check your TWU email. (It may be in the spam folder. It will be from WordPress. not me.)
- Let’s take a minute to set up accounts (if necessary), accept the invite, and explore the possibilities.
- I set you up as authors (which allows to create and publish your own blog posts). I *can* make you editors, giving you access to all pages and posts, if you like?
- Can I lock the site now?
- How might you use a site like this in your work?
Discussion of readings
McComiskey, Ch. 1-3
- What did you learn about the field?
- What questions do you have?
- What ideas do you have?
- What resources can we find for each disciplinary area read about for tonight?
- Let’s add them to the resources page.
Take a moment to review your reading and your notes. Then, go up to the board (or we could use the comments feature below? preferences?_) and write us a little note for discussion. This could be a question, a statement, a quote from the text…..you decide.
Our goal tonight is to consider: What will be expected of me? What do I have to unlearn? What do I have to learn? How will I manage to get it all done?
Writing Assignment Workshop
Let’s talk a bit about the read-around. Have you made choices? Have you started? How may I help? What can we workshop tonight to help you with the read-around?
Do you want to explore the next one yet?
Prompts, Area 2: Getting to know the field
- Part 1: The Read-around (due 10/3, 10%)
- Part 2: Field-Forum-Audience Analysis(due 10/10, 5%)
- Part 3: Methodology Exploration Map + Description (due 10/31, 5%)
For next time
- Read McComiskey, Ch. 4-6 and Booth, The Craft of Research, “From Topics to Questions” + “From Questions to a Problem” (35-65)